Medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids: questions and answers for policymaking
What is the evidence base for the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids? What is the difference between cannabis preparations and medicinal products and why is this important? How is this issue regulated in the EU? These and other questions are explored in this report which responds to growing interest in this topic as more European countries develop policies and practice in this area.
Table of contents
- What topics does this report cover?
- What do we mean by medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids?
- Part 1
- What evidence is there that cannabis and cannabinoids have medical uses?
- How do we assess the effectiveness of medicinal products?
- What is the current evidence on the effectiveness of cannabis and cannabinoids as medicines?
- What health risks are associated with the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids?
- Part 2
- What regulatory frameworks are relevant to the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids?
- Is medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids allowed under the international drug control treaties?
- What are the regulatory frameworks within which cannabis or cannabinoids are authorised for medical use at European level?
- What regulatory frameworks are used to authorise cannabis or cannabinoids for medical use at national level?
- What other regulatory approaches are used to make cannabis or cannabinoids available for medical use without formal marketing authorisation?
- Could cannabis be sold as a herbal medicine?
- Part 3
- What approaches to allowing the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids have countries used?
- How is the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids regulated in the United States and Canada?
- What approaches have been used to allow the medical use of cannabis or cannabinoids in the European Union?
- Examples of approaches taken by some other countries to allow the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids
- Part 4
- What are the regulatory challenges in allowing the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids?