European Prevention Curriculum (EUPC): a handbook for decision-makers, opinion-makers and policy-makers in science-based prevention of substance use
This handbook has been developed with the primary purpose of providing specific reference material for the European Prevention Curriculum (EUPC) training courses. It also serves to provide a more general introduction to prevention science and, in particular, to science-based interventions. The training curriculum has been developed by a European project entitled UPC-Adapt, which was co-funded by the European Commission.
Notes on translations:
Croatian: translated and produced by the Laboratory for Prevention Research (PrevLab), Faculty of Education and Rehabilitation Sciences, Department of Behaviour Disorders, University of Zagreb
Dutch: translated and produced by HOGENT
Estonian: translated and produced by Tervise Arengu Instituut
French: translated and produced by the EU4MD project
Georgian: translated and produced by the Tomas Zabranski Institute of Addiction Studies, Ilia State University, within the framework of the EMCDDA4GE project.
German: translated and produced by Finder Akademie
Latvian: translated and produced by the Centre for Disease Prevention and Control of Latvia.
Lithuanian: translated and produced by the Lithuanian focal point
Polish: translated and produced by Prevention Unit, Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology in Warsaw, Poland
Portuguese: translated and produced by the EMCDDA
Spanish: translated by Carmen Orte, Joan Amer y Maria Antònia Gomila (Universitat de les Illes Balears), translation revised by Oihana Rementeria, produced by Ministerio de Sanidad: Delegación del Gobierno para el Plan Nacional sobre Drogas
Ukrainian: translated and produced by the Geopolitical Alliance of Women with support from the EU4MD project
If you are considering translating the handbook, please follow the specific EUPC guidelines for translation and adaptation and the general EMCDDA guidelines for translation.
Table of contents
- Use of this handbook
- PART I: General concepts underpinning efective prevention
- Chapter 1: Epidemiology — understanding the nature and extent of substance use
- Chapter 2: Foundations of prevention science and evidence-based prevention interventions
- Chapter 3: Evidence-based prevention interventions and policies
- Chapter 4: Monitoring and evaluation
- PART II: Prevention approaches in different settings
- Chapter 5: Family-based prevention
- Chapter 6: School-based and workplace-based prevention
- Chapter 7: Environmental prevention
- Chapter 8: Media-based prevention
- Chapter 9: Community-based prevention
- Chapter 10: Advocacy for prevention
- Final refections