Drug offences: sentencing and other outcomes
EMCDDA, Lisbon, November 2009
Publication type:Selected issues
The sentences that offenders receive for drug law violations across the European Union are examined for the first time in this ‘Selected issue’. By analysing the most recent year’s statistics, this report attempts to answer the question: What is the most likely outcome for an offender after being stopped by police for a drug law offence of use or personal possession, or supply or trafficking? An online annex provides links to results by country (pdf).
Download as pdf (306 KB):English (en)
Table of contents
- Sketching out the European picture
- Information on drug law offences and outcomes
- Sentencing users and traffickers: problems of separation
- Discontinuance of legal action: a common outcome?
- Penalties received by drug law offenders
- Directing users to treatment
- Online annex: results by country