European drug prevention quality standards
EMCDDA, Lisbon, December 2011
Publication type:Manuals and guidelines
This Manual is a joint production by the EMCDDA and the Prevention Standards Partnership, and presents and describes basic and expert level quality standards for drug prevention. The standards cover all aspects of drug prevention work, including needs and resource assessment, programme planning, intervention design, resource management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, dissemination, sustainability, stakeholder involvement, staff development, and ethics. Considerations regarding the standards’ real-life implementation are provided, acknowledging differences in professional culture, policy, and the structure of prevention delivery within Europe.
Download as pdf (1.4 MB):English (en)
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Current approaches to drug prevention in Europe
- Using the quality standards
- About the quality standards
- Cross-cutting considerations
- Project stage 1: Needs assessment
- Project stage 2: Resource assessment
- Project stage 3: Programme formulation
- Project stage 4: Intervention design
- Project stage 5: Management and mobilisation of resources
- Project stage 6: Delivery and monitoring
- Project stage 7: Final evaluations
- Project stage 8: Dissemination and improvement
Additional online resources
About the online annex
This online annex provides a range of complementary materials, templates and information to support the implementation of the standards in practice. If you need more information, or wish to comment on the Manual or the materials in this online annex, please contact the EMCDDA or the Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU).
- Additional guidance (PDF)
- The current drug situation in Europe (PDF)
- List of participating organisations (PDF)
- Prevention Standards Partnership overview (PDF)
Translations of the standards
These translations have been produced by the project partners in order to aid local dissemination. They do not represent official translations by the EMCDDA. They will be added here as soon as available.
The self-reflection checklist contains an abbreviated version of the standards and should be used to determine the current position in achieving the standards and to identify areas for future improvement.
To print off the self-reflection checklist, please download the PDF version below. Word document versions are also available if you prefer to complete the self-reflection checklist electronically.
- Self-reflection checklist (PDF version)
- Self-reflection checklist (.docx version)
- Self-reflection checklist (.doc version)
Further information about standards implementation
The following document outlines some of the considerations which must be taken into account when wishing to implement the standards in practice. Examples were drawn from the countries participating in the Prevention Standards Partnership (Italy, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Spain, UK).
Overview of prevention standards project poster
The poster below was presented at the EUSPR Conference 2011 in Lisbon, Portugal. It can be printed off in A4 as a hand out and it is a useful summary overview of the project and the standards.