Harm reduction overviews are available for 30 countries — the 28 EU Member States, Norway and Turkey.
The harm reduction overviews consist of five main parts:
- description of the national context
- description of the key responses to prevent and reduce drug-related infectious diseases.
The information is divided in 3 main categories: needle and syringe programmes, responses targeting infectious diseases (i.e. hepatitis) and health promotion activities. Drug treatment is considered part of harm reduction responses but further information can be found in the country-specific treatment overviews.
- description of the key responses to prevent and reduce drug-related deaths.
The information is divided 3 main categories: targeted responses in the community, Naloxone provision and drug consumption rooms.
- description of the key responses to prevent and reduce drug-related harms in recreational settings
- references and additional resources.
The overviews are based primarily on data from structured questionnaires and standard tables on harm reduction interventions collected via the Reitox network of national focal points.