Below you can find the key products and outputs.
Updates from the EU Early Warning System
- New psychoactive substances in Europe: Innovative legal responses - June 2015
- New psychoactive substances in Europe - March 2015
The EMCDDA and Europol report annually to the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission on the implementation of the Council Decision on information exchange, risk-assessment and control of new psychoactive substances. The reports present the activities implemented and the new drugs detected for the first time during the reporting year.
Risk assessments are produced at the request of the the European Council to assess the risks associated with a new psychoactive substance (click here for more information on the risk assessment process).
- Risk assessment of MT-45
- Risk assessment of 4,4'-DMAR
- Risk assessment of AH-7921
- Risk assessment of 25I-NBOMe
- Risk assessment of methoxetamine
- Risk assessment of MDPV
- All risk assessments >>
Joint reports (early warning system)
When the EMCDDA and Europol consider a newly detected psychoactive substance merits further collection and analysis, this information is presented in the form of a joint report (click here for more information on the early warning system).
These practical guidelines have been prepared to assist the implementation of the Council Decision on information exchange, risk-assessment and control of new psychoactive substances.
Perspectives on drugs
The EMCDDA Perspectives on drugs are designed-for-the-web analyses which incorporate interactive features, such as the interactive tool that allows selecting different combinations of substituents and build up compounds that are being monitored by the EU Early Warning System.
The EMCDDA has published a number of objective and scientifically sound descriptions of new drugs, as part of the 'Drug profiles' series.
The EMCDDA Thematic papers are scientific papers on selected, theme-based aspects of the drugs phenomenon.
Information by drug
Below you can find the key products and outputs, categorised by drug type.
- Joint report on 5-(2-Aminopropyl)indole
- Risk assessment of 5-(2-Aminopropyl)indole
- Council Decision on control of 5-(2-Aminopropyl)indole
- Joint report on 4-methylamphetamine
- Risk assessment of 4-methylamphetamine
- Council Decision on control of 4-methylamphetamine
- Joint report on mephedrone
- Risk assessment of mephedrone
- Council Decision on control of mephedrone
- Synthetic cathinones drug profile
- Joint report on BZP
- Risk assessment of BZP
- Council Decision on control of BZP
- BZP and other piperazines
'Spice' and synthetic cannabinoids
Below you can find the key products and outputs.
- Dangerous drug PMMA makes a comeback, Rachel Christie, Andrew Cunningham and Roumen Sedefov, Drugnet Europe, January–March 2015
- Four new drugs go under the microscope in the wake of rising health concerns (29.01.2014)
- Fresh legislation proposed to address new psychoactive substances, 17 September 2013
- Second international conference on novel psychoactive substances, 12 September 2013
- Synthetic cannabinoids in Europe
- 4-MA — new amphetamine-type stimulant under scrutiny in the wake of deaths
- Over 50 new drugs already detected in 2012
- ‘Older-new’ drugs must not be overlooked
- Proactive response: countries devise range of tools to tackle threat of emerging drugs
- EMCDDA and ECDC assess anthrax outbreak among heroin users in Germany
- New drugs — making the international connections
- Reitox early warning system network annual meeting
- New drugs detected in the EU at the rate of around one per week, say agencies (26.04.2012)
Events and meetings
Below you can find links to related events and meetings.
- 2nd meeting of the CLEN Project Group on designer drugs and other illicit products, Lisbon, 5 - 6 February 2015
- 3rd International conference on novel psychoactive substances, Rome, 15-16 May 2014
- 13th Annual meeting of the Reitox EWS and 3rd International multidisciplinary forum on new drugs – Lisbon, 27-28 June 2013
- 2nd International Conference on Novel Psychoactive Substances, Swansea- 12 - 13 September 2013
- Testing the waters: first international multidisciplinary conference on detecting illicit drugs in wastewater, 6-8 May 2013, Lisbon
- Second EMCDDA trendspotter meeting on Fentanyl in Europe, 9–10 October 2012, Lisbon
- 2012 NIDA International Forum, New and Emerging Psychoactive Substances: Second Interdisciplinary Forum (8-11 June 2012, Palm Springs)
- First International Conference on Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS):The Ever-Changing World of Psychoactive Drugs (12-13 March 2012, Budapest)
- First EMCDDA trendspotter meeting on recent shocks in the European heroin market (18–19 October 2011, Lisbon)
- First international multidisciplinary forum on new drugs (11–12 May 2011, Lisbon)
- EMCDDA meeting on wastewater analysis, 28 January 2011, Lisbon)